Layout

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Relax... Just do it...

I was up by five o'clock in the morning yesterday.  Don't ask me why; I just couldn't go back to sleep.

You'd think that would indicate that I got a lot done.  On the contrary, it left me lethargic and quite cranky all day long.  It probably didn't help that the first thing I did in the morning was untat the split ring I'd messed up the night before in my TIAS project --very discouraging.

So, I decided to tat one of those Heritage crosses that I've tatted over twenty times.  Of course, the shuttle I'd wound way too much thread on for something else emptied before I even finished the first portion of it.  That led to me doing a few stitches of finger tatting, just to try it, and then I moved on with my life. 

At that point, I was hoping sitting on the couch rather than pouting in bed, would make me sleepy enough to snooze.  Instead, I saw this cross sitting beside me: (LizBeth, Country Side, Size 20).
The next few hours of my life were spent tatting and untatting to create another cross, this one with shuttle and ball:
 I chose LizBeth Carousel and the supposedly matching Antique Blue Med because I figured that I'd mess it all up and I don't mind 'wasting' Carousel.  Surprising, I actually completed the cross!  

The Pattern is Gina B's Basic Ring-Chain Cross Bookmark .

I learned plenty while tatting this cross, including that I could be just as relaxed by and while tatting with the shuttle as I am with the needle.  

Now, I just need to start learning how much thread I should put on the shuttle for project (how it's estimated, etc...).  Methinks I'll try a few patterns which include the amount to be wound. 


Love and Happy Tatting to all!


♥,
Stephanie Grace

2 comments:

God's Kid said...

Nice crosses!! :)

Kathy Niklewicz said...

I'm glad you're getting more comfortable with the shuttle! I really like this cross pattern. Thanks for the link! You did a nice job on both - one with needle and one with shuttle!

I can't give any advice on how much thread to load.
There are experts who can help you with that!

Before HDTs were available, and before I ever purchased Lizbeth or other commercial, variegated threads, I usually had so much white or ecru or solid color thread it didn't matter if I 'wasted' it (although I paid more attention to my gold thread); and with a bobbin it's easy to unwind the shuttle to empty it, or just change bobbins if I want to go to another project. The trick is not running out of thread as you approach the end of a pattern, even thugh you do have a lot of thread in reserve!

Post a Comment